Monday, February 6, 2017

A Word for the Year

So, I’ve decided to blog again. Yes, for you two faithful followers, I will be there once again. But for real… Where do I even start? I’ve done a lot since the last time I’ve blogged. I can think of story upon story to share. But for today, I will just post about the first of the year. Which is now over a month ago. If I had a middle name it would most likely be procrastination. I have been attempting to blog all year now! 

At the beginning of January I heard about this cool idea of choosing a word for the year. Tho I’ve never said “I’m choosing this word to focus on for the year” I look back over the last two years and definitely can think of a couple words off the top of my head.

 Near the end of summer 2015 I really focused on Love. Loving God and loving others. It's kind of a roll over word though. I've had to focus on it every month, every week, every day and every minute since.

2016 was a year of so many adventures. I traveled from Africa to Asia, and all over the  good Ol' U.S. of A. in between. Over the course of 2016 I remember wanting to be Present. Not missing out on anything. To go in depth about this I would need to write another post. Maybe someday I will.  

This year the word I have chosen is Content. 

When I googled the word content, the first definition I saw was this… “In a state of peaceful happiness.” I absolutely loved that.  A state of peaceful happiness. The word picture that paints in my mind is brilliant. It reminds me of a waterfall. Have you ever seen a waterfall? In all its magnificent glory and rushing waters, it is still so peaceful.

Photo by: Kayla Puterbaugh ~ Erawan National Park ~ Krachan, Thailand
Have you ever actually thought about a waterfall? How it works? Me neither. But, I did just now. So now you get to read my thoughts. Rivers are constantly flowing, we know this from Pocahontas’  song “Just around the River Bend.”  Waterfalls on the other hand, are in a sense, stationary. Not the water, but the steep incline which the water rushes over. The rocks, or the foundation of the waterfall, just stays there. Its content with having the water rush over it. I think this is how we have to be. Content where God has us. Content with our job. Content with the season of life we're in. Content being single. Content just dating, not having that ring. Content with our looks. You get it, content in everything. I’m not implying for you to sit around and not reach for goals or strive to be better. I’m saying where God has you and the season of life you're in, to be Content. Paul says in Philippians 4:11b “…for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.”  When we grasp this concept of being content we then are in a state of peaceful happiness. We become the steep incline (content and peaceful) for the water (our happiness) to rush over; Making us a magnificent sight to be around and see. 

This year no matter what comes my way, I want to be content. 

What's your word for the year?! 
It's never too late to decide. 




No comments:

Post a Comment