Monday, September 5, 2016

Watch Your Step




Well, It has been a hot min since I’ve blogged, like 6 months!! Crazy how fast this year has been going. I’ve been trying to think what to blog about, then, I had it! I was reminded of a very good lesson just the other day. Well, a couple good lessons. So I figured I would share. :)

Just the other night I was at work. I walked outside to check on one of the students and what do I see? A cute, tiny, fluffy, kitten, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. So of course , I run out and pick her up and cuddle her. Put a picture of her on facebook and try to find the owner. After I few hours I find out she’s a stray that has been seen all around town. I realize I’m stuck with this kitten for the night. Then I realize, I’m allergic to her. My face itches. My nose itches. My eyes itch. I’m now desperate to get rid of the cute ball of fur. I finally find someone to watch her over night. I walk the kitten to her home for the night, because it was a beautiful evening and the house was just down the road. I drop her off and go on my way. As I'm walking back to work, I’m feeling pretty good about the situation, I’m positive, the next day, I will find a home for little miss kitty. Then, all of a sudden I feel a squish under my shoe. I stop, then  tell myself it was “just mud” and continue walking. I close up at work, hop in my car and start to drive home. Well, as I’m about a block away from my house I start smelling this horrible, horrible, smell, and it hits me..squish…that was NOT just mud….that was.. ew, gross, it was dog doo doo. So now I’m grossed out, gaging ,and am pulling in the drive way. I take my shoes off, tell mom my dreadful story and then put my shoes in the garage to deal with later.
 Tonight folks, was “later.” I go to the garage, which mind you, has been baking dog turd into my favorite tennis shoe the last few days,  I pick up said shoe, take it outside, sit down on the drive way with my plastic knife and start chipping away stinky, dried, disgusting dog poo. Then I Inspect it. Still gross. So I take it inside to the cleaning sink and start scrubbing off the stinky, dried, now wet, disgusting dog poo. After much scrubbing, horrible faces , and determination, my shoe is back to normal. Thank you Jesus!!
 So, you’re probably thinking by now the “lessons I learned” were...
#1 If I see a kitten in the road, look the other way. 
 #2 Watch where I’m walking.
Yes, those are both correct. And if you’re wondering If I ever found a home for the little fur ball, I did. Along with those two very good lessons I was also reminded of a truth about sin. How stinky and gross it is, especially when I leave that sin in my heart and don’t deal with it. That sin gets baked into my heart just like the dog doo doo did on my shoe. The longer I leave that sin in my heart, the harder it is to clean it out. The harder it is to overcome. But, even though it may be harder to clean out, after letting it bake into my heart, God can still wash it away, scrub it out of my heart and forgive me. Sure, I may “step” in the poo again. But I learn to take care of it right away and to ask God to cleanse me, make me new, and help me to “watch” out for the turd piles of life.

“Search me, O God and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” ~ Psalm 139:23-24

God already knows the turds in my heart and the ones I’m about to “step” into. So, a good reminder for me is to Ask God to search my heart, to show me the turds in my life to clean out and then to lead me away from any other stinky piles I may come close to stepping into. I've got to remember, to daily ask God to help me watch my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment